Thursday 10 March 2011

schizophrenic weather run

Its March and its bloody well snowing!!! Snowdrops and daffodils are out, fashion shop window are looking annoyingly pastel-y and I have had a couple of emails telling me 'its the start of spring...get training for (delete as appropriate) 5k/10k/half marathon' - you would think I could look forward to some nice sunny running opportunities... but no....went out today and though I ended up being rather lucky and spending most of my 5 mile run in the sun - albeit running against almost gale force winds - I did get a short hail/sleet 'shower'. It was, however, also INSANLY windy...at one point I almost got blown into a lampost. Though I have to say I was quite pleased that I managed to maintain around a 9min mile pace even running into the wind.

I also expect by this time of year to be able to plan my long runs without fear of too much extreme weather. I can handle running in the cold and the rain but snow blizzards I draw the line at. However, the forecast for the weekend is exactly that and I had planned a 15 mile run which I really should do as the Edinburgh marathon is only just over 2 months away and I'm losing 2 weeks to a holiday in Peru (ok, so its a nice way to lose it but still!)

My options would seem to be to do the long run tomorrow which having done 3 days in a row, one of which was a heavy intervals session, I had hoped to have a wee rest. However, Saturday is the afore-mentioned snow blizzards and Sunday I would assume would be blighted by Saturday's snow which I would have to run through and past experience says that my legs don't like running in snow or slush.  Mmmm, ok my options have turned into 'option'. a 15 mile Friday it is...not doing anything the rest of today then..

stats:

5.48miles in 51mins 58secs (and that was with the wind/hills and other obstacles trying their best to slow me down)

No comments:

Post a Comment