Monday 21 March 2011

injured

Even though I have not been running I thought I would blog about something that is a big part of running. It has been said that runners are either recovering from injury, are injured or about to be injured...for me this could not be truer. I have ran 2 half marathons and while training for each of those I have ended up having to take at least 2 weeks off training which in turn affected my race time.

When I started my training for this year's Edinburgh marathon I thought I had learnt enough through previous experience to avoid anything serious...i.e. stretching off properly, not increasing mileage too fast....It however, didn't stop me from being at week 7 in training and finding myself once again injured and unable to walk let alone run (this time it is my ankle). Last sunday rather than doing my scheduled 15mile run I was sat in front of the TV with a consoling glass of red wine.

I don't know what it's like for other runners but I find being taken out even by a minor injury very demoralising and upsetting. I am probably an overly emotional person-I put it down to my, ahem, 'artistic temperament',  but I get depressed and pessimistic when I can't train and I find myself visualising my hard won fitness ebbing quickly away (drama queen, I know).

Anyway, for the moment I am trying to stay off my feet and occupy myself - you take away a job and then training, you find yourself with a LOT of free time on your hands - and hope that I am back into the 'about to be injured' and at least make it intact until after the marathon.

No comments:

Post a Comment