Monday 2 May 2011

Getting back to it...

It's been such a long time since my last post, I'm not sure how to start.
It's been a difficult couple of months. Having running as a way of keeping me motivated and most importantly giving me something to do whilst dealing with being unemployed suffered a big setback with 2 injuries plaguing my right foot. I had already had a couple of weeks off before going to Peru. It was in Peru and the week following my return where I was pretty ill that set my training back even further. In total I had about a month of no training whatsoever.

Finally, on a bright spring day I was finally getting over the nasty stomach bug I had brought back from Peru and I thought, "right, I am getting out for a jog even if it kills me". Having been in bed, not eating and having lost quite a bit of weight, (one of the only upside to being that ill!) my first outing wasn't exactly inspiring. I managed about 20mins at a pace barely above a fast walk and I was thoroughly knackered after it. I would just have to accept that it would take a while to get back up to full strength and back on my training track.

That was about 3 weeks ago and a few days ago I managed to do 10 miles in about an hour and 3 quarters. It was supposed to be 13miles. However, having reached a point where I was a very long way from home, having inadvertently changed my route, I turned to head back. It was then that my tummy decided to do some very strange things...of which none felt good. I had to stop running and slow down to a laboured but brisk walk. This was accompanied by the sun performing a disappearing act and the wind picking up. Things went downhill from there. At this point I will reveal the lesson I learnt from this experience - never to go on a long run without a phone or a bus fare, preferably both. I had neither - I had stupidly thought that I would manage a nice long run without mishap. I ended up walking a very painful 5 miles to my parents house, which in my mind seemed closer than my own flat. This took me a good hour and 20 minutes. I had to keep stopping to double over as my bowels twisted themselves into knots. I know I could have hazarded asking a passer by to borrow their phone, or gone into a shop to do similar but am terrible at asking for a strangers help. Anyway, what seemed like a terribly long time, my parent house appeared round a corner - I have never been so relieved to find a door unlocked in my life (I had no idea if my parents were in or not!). Without announcing my unexpected appearance I sprinted up the stairs to a very welcome bathroom.

I can safely say that is one of the most unpleasant 5 miles I have covered in my life - I am still nervous that I am in no way nearly ready for the Edinburgh marathon, but I am sure that whatever happens I will be able to struggle past the finish line, no matter what! I am hoping that my new orthotic insoles will keep my foot pain at bay and my pretty extensive routine of stretches and strength exercises will ward off any new injury.

I will be aiming for a 15 miles run this weekend - I most definitely will not forget my phone and an emergency bus fare :)

No comments:

Post a Comment